Saturday, June 16, 2012

review: Naked Noodle's Zorba the Geek

food.  penne pasta.  by The Naked Noodle, Bozeman MT


Main ingredients: pasta, tomato, artichoke hearts, capers, greek olives, feta cheese and a white wine sauce.

This pasta dish is served hot, is slightly acidic and has a bit of a strange aroma - possibly from some interactions between the capers, olives, and white wine.  The visual presentation of the dish is passable.  I got this in a to go box, so I could not have high expectations for its appearance.

The fruits and vegetables in this dish are fresh and satisfying.  I found the noodles to be a bit too limp for my liking.  When considered independently, the ingredients work well.  But there is something missing.

The noodles are relatively dry as I chew them, and the ingredients feel isolated from one another.  The sauce has been nearly completely divorced from the rest of the dish, and so nothing is trying it together.  The noodles or other ingredients are not coated by the sauce, and this remains true even after mixing.  Even as I deliberately combine the sauce with the noodles and other ingredients in my mouth, it feels as though they do not intermingle.

the sauce sits alone in a pool of its own self loathing

After I had eaten all the solid ingredients, a puddle of sauce remained in my to go box.  I didn't have a spoon or any elegant way to approach drinking the sauce, so I poured the remainder of it into my mouth.  It was decent, although it had cooled by this point.  It was a bit tangy and acidic.  Drinking it was definitely not an unpleasant experience.

Rating

This was an acceptable dish, but I would be unlikely to order it again.  The individual ingredients were satisfying.  The sauce, however, was ineffective.  This resulted in dry noodles and ingredients who could not easily work together to create one flavor shared by the whole of the dish.  Zorba the Geek, you deserve 2.5/5 swampmang heads.  (I'll have to apologize to my friend and fellow blogger, Charles, for stealing this rating system.  But I felt that the heads would be more apt than nipples or horse cocks for this one)


No comments:

Post a Comment