Friday, June 15, 2012

review: new belgium's 1554

Beer.  Dark ale.  5.6% abv



New Belgium is a brewery that is located in my hometown, Fort Collins CO.  There are many breweries there, and New Belgium is one of the most prominent.  It is funny, a 6 pack about 1 mile away from the brewery costs around $10.  In Montana, over 600 miles away from the brewery, the exact same 6 pack costs around $7.50.

1554 is one of several types of beer that New Belgium has created.  It is a personal favorite of mine.  This is a beer that I can drink bottle after bottle and never tire of.  It has been labeled as "enlightened black ale", and I am inclined to agree.

It is difficult for me to characterize the flavor profile of this beer - perhaps my vocabulary is simply not well developed yet.  That is something that will continue to grow with my continuing research of food and beverages - including critiques.  

This is a medium to heavy bodied ale which is quite dark in color.  I take a sip from the bottle, and notice about an inch of head as I place the bottle back down.  It tastes rather sweet on the front portion of the tongue and palate.  There is a definite chocolaty finish that is somewhat dry.  This beer is remarkably smooth - it goes down very easy and there is absolutely no trace of the "bitter beer" sensation or "blech" reflex.  How lovely.

Mmmm, now that's good beer.


Simply delicious.  It is not overly filling.  It could not be considered a meal, like Guinness Stout.  This is a beer you can drink as a substitute for an evening snack.  Even so, it would be an easy task to drink a 6 pack (or 12 bottles) to yourself in one evening.

This is an excellent beer.  Easily within my top 3 favorites of all time.

makes me smile


My Rating

How could I award any less?  This beer has earned what it deserves.  1554, as created by New Belgium, I hereby bestow unto you 5/5 horse cocks.



I have no idea what is up with this image.  I saw it on a bulletin board on the MSU campus.  I thought of a possible modification - horse caulk - in which the horse would share half it's body with a tube of caulk.  Perhaps I will create that image and post it on the bulletin board some day.

And with that I will bid you Good day.

~chugz's milk.  If you are my roomie and you drink from my milk carton I will motherfucking kill you.  jk.  I'm not jk.

2 comments:

  1. I love horse caulk. I've also never found my way to enjoying dark beer. Or, really, any premium beer. For the price of a six of beer, you can get a pint of cheap vodka and get halfway plastered. Beer makes no economical sense to me. It hurts my brain even thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess for me beer is kind of like a soda or tasty beverage that I drink for its carbonation and flavor. Plus it quenches my thirst somewhat. It has the side effect of getting me a little tipsy, which isn't necessarily my primary motivation for drinking it.

      The cost isn't a huge deal for me. I get paid pretty decently and live pretty darn cheaply. Beer is one of the only things I spend money on that is a luxury item.

      Delete