Monday, June 25, 2012

the day I became a lichen enthusiast

For the unaware:
Lichen is a symbiotic relationship between a fungus and a photosynthetic algae or cyanobacteria (photosynthetic bacteria).

This day on one of my many strolls I happened upon a rock.
the Rock caught my eye, as it was colorful and covered with lichens.
I thought not much of it, and continued on my way.

the Rock


In Oregon a week prior, strands of fibrous lichen decorated the conifers.
The lichen garnered my attention and curiosity.
The question was put forth: how is it that lichen reproduces?
I pondered this for a moment but ultimately thought not much of it, and continued on my way.

This day I decided to answer the question that had lingered subtly in my mind.

For the curious:

There is a place I go to sit in silence.
As I was wandering back home after a visit to the Place, a thought struck me:
I will grow some lichen of my own.

the Place {saturated}


I went back to the rock, and scratched the lichen from it with my key.
Carrying it in the palm of my hand,  I returned to my home.
The lichen will be crushed and mixed with distilled water (pollutants in the tap water will only do harm).
I will then apply the mixture to some special pieces of bark I have got lying around, and moisten it regularly.

the Bark, day 0 {lichened, moistened}


A new question has presented itself: Will the lichen that was growing upon the rock colonize the bark?
They are, after all, two different substrates.
Time will answer this one.

~swm

No comments:

Post a Comment